‘Hormuz control is must’: Iran withdraws from MoU, accuses US of violating ceasefire
Iranian Deputy Foreign Minister Kazem Gharibabadi said the country would exercise ‘full sovereignty’ over the Strait of Hormuz during wartime
This story has been updated to reflect more details regarding Iran’s withdrawal from the MOU:
Update: On Wednesday, July 15, Iran’s Foreign Ministry spokesperson Esmaeil Baghaei categorically ruled out negotations with the US, saying the country will focus on defense and respond “firmly” to recent US strikes.
Speaking to Iranian media, he warned Tehran would not honor any deal if the United States fails to meet its obligations, accusing Washington of disregarding the ceasefire from the very beginning of the conflict.
WASHINGTON, DC: Iran has withdrawn from its Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) with the United States, accusing Washington of violating the agreement by reinstating a naval blockade on Iranian ports and ships.
The move marks a major escalation in the ongoing US-Iran conflict and raises fresh concerns over global oil supplies through the Strait of Hormuz.
Iran claims full control of Strait of Hormuz
According to Iran’s semi-official Tasnim News Agency, Deputy Foreign Minister Kazem Gharibabadi said Iran would exercise “full sovereignty over the Strait of Hormuz” and that, during wartime, “Iran must control all of the Strait,” including waters traditionally shared with Oman.
He said the US had “completely dismantled” the June 17 MoU by imposing a naval blockade and vowed that Iran “will never request negotiations with the United States.”
The Strait of Hormuz is one of the world’s most critical shipping lanes, carrying about 20% of global oil trade. Iran had previously shut the waterway after joint US-Israeli strikes triggered the conflict earlier this year.
Donald Trump warns of more strikes
The announcement comes after President Donald Trump declared the ceasefire with Iran “over” and threatened a broader military campaign unless Tehran returned to negotiations.
“We’re going to hit them very hard,” Trump said, warning that future strikes could target Iran’s power plants, bridges and energy infrastructure if no deal is reached.
The June MoU had aimed to end hostilities within 60 days, restore commercial shipping through the Strait of Hormuz and create a framework for resolving disputes over Iran’s nuclear program.
Iran’s withdrawal effectively ends that agreement, increasing the risk of further military escalation and renewed disruption to global energy markets as tensions between Tehran and Washington continue to intensify.