Skip to content
-
Subscribe to our newsletter & never miss our best posts. Subscribe Now!
  • https://www.facebook.com/
  • https://twitter.com/
  • https://t.me/
  • https://www.instagram.com/
  • https://youtube.com/
Newzaa

Breaking News, Analysis & Trending Stories

Newzaa

Breaking News, Analysis & Trending Stories

  • US
  • India
  • Entertainment
  • World
  • Media
  • US
  • India
  • Entertainment
  • World
  • Media
Subscribe
Close

Search

World

Why Iran chose to strike first after Trump paused US attacks, risking a fresh Middle East escalation

By rajmehto
3 Min Read
0

Analysts suggest Iran’s decision reflected a major shift in how it plans to fight the war, particularly when it comes to initiating strikes

WASHINGTON, DC: A brief pause in fighting between the United States and Iran has come to an abrupt end after Tehran launched what American officials described as a “surprise” attack on US military installations in Jordan, raising fresh fears of a wider conflict in the Middle East.

On Wednesday, July 29, President Donald Trump responded with a sharp warning, promising a strong military response, while analysts suggested Iran’s decision reflected a major shift in how it plans to fight the war.

This is the first time #Iran has initiated an attack without a preceding strike by the United States or Israel. In that sense, the attack appears to have been a signal related to Netanyahu’s visit to the White House earlier in the day.

It suggests that Iran’s military strategy… https://t.co/WAv9IcVooB

— Hamidreza Azizi (@HamidRezaAz) July 28, 2026

Iran appears to have changed its military strategy

The renewed fighting came after days of relative calm, during which Trump said Iran had requested a pause because “they asked us very nicely” and wanted negotiations.

President Donald Trump speaks to reporters after landing in Air Force One on July 19, 2026, in Joint Base Andrews, Maryland (Getty Images)

Although a senior Iranian official later said the country’s armed forces had also decided not to take military action, Tehran never publicly committed to a ceasefire. Hours after signaling restraint, Iran targeted American forces, ending the lull.

“Something appears to have changed fundamentally in Iran’s approach, particularly regarding its willingness to initiate a strike if it considers that to be the only viable option,” Hamid Reza Azizi, a researcher at the German Institute for International and Security Affairs, wrote on X (formerly Twitter).

Trump reacted with an explicit warning during an interview with Fox News.

“We are going to beat the f**king sh*t out of them,” he said. “We’ll be hitting them hard. They’re going to get a beating.”

Fox correspondent: "President Trump tells Fox News about Iran, 'We are going to beat the f**king s**t out of them.' He went on to say, 'We'll be hitting them hard. They're going to get a beating.'" pic.twitter.com/IPX0VgP9dj

— Aaron Rupar (@atrupar) July 29, 2026

Netanyahu meeting and Strait of Hormuz emerge as key factors

According to Azizi, the timing of Iran’s attack may not have been accidental.

The strike came shortly after Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu met Trump in Washington, with Netanyahu describing it as “one of the best conversations” the two leaders had shared despite recent tensions.

Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu speaks during the funeral of Police officer Ran Guili, after his body was recovered by Israeli soldiers from the Gaza Strip on January 28, 2026, in Meitar, Israel (Getty Images)

Earlier that day, Israeli Defense Minister Israel Katz said Israel had wanted to strike Iranian energy infrastructure but had been held back by the Trump administration.

Azizi suggested the attack may have been intended as a signal following the White House meeting and reflected Tehran’s growing willingness to launch preemptive strikes if it believed a larger attack was coming.

Iranian Deputy Foreign Minister Kazem Gharibabadi also pointed to another reason behind Tehran’s decision.

In an interview with Iranian state television, he said Iran would not hesitate to resume hostilities if its claim over the Strait of Hormuz was challenged.

A patrol boat moves through the water as cargo ships sit at anchor in the Strait of Hormuz off Bandar Abbas, Iran, on Saturday, May 2, 2026 (Amirhosein Khorgooi/ISNA via AP)

He argued that proposed shipping arrangements backed by Oman and the United States crossed one of Tehran’s red lines because they could weaken Iran’s control over the strategic waterway.

Conflict widens as regional tensions deepen

The escalation quickly spread beyond Iran and the US.

Shortly after the attack in Jordan, US and Saudi forces struck Iran-backed militias in Iraq.

US Central Command (CENTCOM) said the operation was linked to more than 30 drone attacks targeting American forces and Saudi energy infrastructure over the previous 72 hours.

Danny Citrinowicz, a senior researcher at Israel’s Institute for National Security Studies, argued that Tehran now views Washington’s earlier pause as “strategic weakness rather than restraint,” increasing the risk that both sides will continue escalating rather than back down.

He warned that the US and its regional partners now face a difficult choice: accommodate some of Iran’s demands or prepare for a longer conflict marked by continued attacks on shipping routes, energy infrastructure and regional trade.

Tags:

President Donald TrumpUnited StatesUS-Iran conflict
Author

rajmehto

Follow Me
Other Articles
Previous

Prince Harry, Elton John and others face multi-million legal bill after losing media privacy case

Next

Pellet guns ‘allowed in exceptional cases’: What Supreme Court said on plea seeking ban

No Comment! Be the first one.

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Recent Posts

  • Stripe Buys AI Startup OpenRouter For Over $7 Billion
  • Spider-Man: Brand New Day Continues To Dominate Box Office
  • Russell Westbrook Announces Retirement After 18 NBA Seasons
  • Oil Surge and Global Tensions Drag Sensex and Nifty
  • Kushner Holds Regional Talks Amid Middle East Tensions

Recent Comments

No comments to show.

Archives

  • August 2026
  • July 2026

Categories

  • Entertainment
  • India
  • Media
  • US
  • World
  • US
  • India
  • Entertainment
  • World
  • Media
Copyright 2026 — Newzaa. All rights reserved.