Iran claims kamikaze drone strikes hit two US military bases in Kuwait as conflict escalates
TEHRAN, IRAN: Iran claimed on July 18 that it launched drone attacks against two US military bases in Kuwait, describing the operation as retaliation for a fresh wave of American airstrikes ordered against Iranian targets.
The announcement came just hours after US Central Command confirmed another night of military operations against Iran. The exchange marked the latest escalation in the growing confrontation between Washington and Tehran.
Iran claims attacks on US bases in Kuwait
According to a statement carried by Iranian state media and cited by The Times of Israel, Iran’s military said it carried out “large-scale attacks with kamikaze drones” against two US military installations in Kuwait.
The statement claimed the operation targeted the US military’s ammunition depot at Camp Udairi. Iran also said it struck the Patriot radar system and the air surveillance radar at Ali Al Salem Air Base.
Iran described the attacks as a direct response to the latest American military action against Iranian targets. The claims came as tensions between the two countries continued to intensify following several days of military exchanges.
Trump orders fresh US airstrikes on Iran
Earlier on Saturday evening, US Central Command announced that American forces had launched another series of airstrikes against Iran.
According to CENTCOM, the operation began at 6 pm ET at the direction of President Donald Trump.

The military said the strikes were intended to further reduce Iran’s ability to threaten commercial shipping through the Strait of Hormuz.
CENTCOM also said the mission aimed to “swiftly punish” Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps forces following attacks on American service members in Jordan the previous night.
The latest strikes marked another consecutive night of US military operations targeting Iran.
CENTCOM cites Jordan attack behind Iran strikes
The announcement followed confirmation from CENTCOM that two US service members were killed while defending a US military base in Jordan from Iranian ballistic missile and drone attacks.
The military also said one additional service member remains missing.
CENTCOM stated that the latest round of strikes was carried out “at the Commander in Chief’s direction” as American forces continued operations across the region.
Iran’s claim of retaliatory drone strikes in Kuwait came shortly after that announcement, further highlighting the rapidly escalating military confrontation between the two countries.
While Iran described the attacks as retaliation, the United States has continued to frame its operations as part of an effort to counter threats against American forces and protect commercial shipping routes.